Are They Trying To Kill Me?

Sunday, May 30, 2010

All gave some, some gave all

Memorial day has always been important to me and not just because it's a great excuse for a BBQ. I've always been reminded by my parents about what the day means and why we get a day off of school/work.

But the day never meant as much to me as it did after August 12, 2004. That was the day I went into work and saw an email from my best friend Elina. It said that she had gotten to talk to her brother, Michael, who was stationed in Iraq on IM! She hadn't been able to do that in a while. She had forwarded the transcript to me and I sat and read it all morning.

Michael had been nice enough to house Elina and I for 10 days when he was stationed in Hawaii. We spent Passover with him and he took us all around. He took me on dangerous hikes and didn't laugh when I cried at a stick that I thought was a snake. He turned the car around immediately when he heard I had never seen Star Wars and went right to the video rental place.

Fast forward to 12 hours later on that same day, August 12, 2004. My cell phone rings and it's Elina. I pick up and she says "he didn't make it". WHAT? I had absolutely no idea at all what she was talking about. She said it again and it slowly sunk in. Michael had been killed earlier that day in a gunfight with insergents in Najaf. Her Sister in Law had just called her.

How could it be? Michael was invincible. He was a captain, an Army Ranger and a Green Beret. he was as elite as you could be.

The next few weeks were a whirlwind. He was buried in Arlington National Cemetary on August 24, 2004. The service was beautiful. His wife had asked that some friends bring sand from the beach in Hawaii and it was spread in his grave. His gorgeous 11 month old son was there charming everyone with the smile that reminded us of his father.

Michael is just one example of a soldier who gave all for his country. We are forever indebted to them for being willing to do so.

I always am amazed when I think back to August 12, that Michael and Elina managed to meet up on IM for the first time in a while that day. It seems like too much of a coincidence, doesn't it?

1 comments:

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

Amazing story... amazing sacrifice.